Trebaseleghe – “Tresbasilice” or “Terre Basilice”, which means “bishop’s territory” – was a very important town during the Middle Age. In fact, its administrative control went all the way to Postumia and Dolo municipalities, in the Central Veneto. Trebaseleghe’s era of prosperity was interrupted in 1225 by the expansionist plans of Ezzelino da Romano, with acts of pillaging perpetrated against the population and destruction. At that time, Trebaseleghe lost its importance in terms of military value and political significance, replaced by Noale and Castelfranco Veneto. Between the 14th and 16th century, the Republic of Venice gathered the territories after the “War of the League of Cambrai”, ensuring to the population a quiet era, characterized by prosperity.
In Trebaseleghe’s territory there are many historical monuments remembering the prosperity of the Middle Age, like Silvelle’s parish church, in Romanesque style (11th century), characterized by enlargements in neoclassical style. Inside the church, there are the altarpieces “Cosimo di Castelfranco” (16th century) and “Madonna del Rosario”, the baptismal font and the mechanical organ “Gerhard Hradetzky”. Another monument of historical value is the parish church of Sant’Ambrogio, entitled to Sant’Ambrogio di Grion, after the construction of the “Sant’Ambrogio di Fiera” church in Treviso. Likely, Treviso’s bishop (1157-1179) Olderico III built the “Sant’Ambrogio di Grion” church, to replace an old church. The dedication to Sant’Ambrogio is no accident: in fact, Olderico III supported the admission of Treviso to the “Lega Lombarda” against Federico Barbarossa, after the destruction of Milan in 1162. The church hosted the parish from 1792, but the actual structure is a consequence of a rebuilding in 1870.
During the Republic of Venice, Trebaseleghe’s territory did much for its milling business. In Silvelle, there are four mills on the Dese river: the “Mulino Gumirato”, located in a strategic position between Dese and Rio Blanco rivers, the “Mulino Zanini” in Sant’Ambrogio, the first on the Dese course starting from the mountain, fully restored in the 2000s, and the “Mulino Bellato”, characterized by the ruins, visible by a bridge located in “Via Ramo”.
With the fall of the Republic of Venice due to the Napoleonic invasions, Trebaseleghe’s territory was dominated by the French, before becoming an Austrian “domain” and a part of the Italy reign in 1866 after the Third Italian War of Independence. Trebaseleghe and the villages of Silvelle, Sant’Ambrogio and Fossalta are now experiencing vigorous economic and demographic development as a result of investments of companies like “Grafica Veneta”, that has printed famous books like Harry Potter.